New England Patriots coach Mike Vrabel addressed Christian Gonzalez‘s contract situation after the team’s 37-13 preseason loss to the Cleveland Browns. With the season opener against the Seahawks fast approaching on September 9, Gonzalez’s contract extension remains in limbo.

“I mean, it’s frustrating, but I mean, I’m focused on the season,” Gonzalez said on Tuesday. “I’m focused on here now and doing what I got to do, and I’m out here to compete and get better.”

Vrabel said he had no reaction to the cornerback’s feelings, but acknowledged that the situation was difficult and said the two had been communicating.

“I have conversations with Christian, and I understand that this is probably something that’s difficult,” he said. “I’ve never been in that position to this extent. Try to treat it with class, but he and I communicate, and our players are always free to feel how they feel. They just have to stay patient and just hope that we can work toward some kind of agreement.”

Headshot of Christian Gonzalez wearing a navy blue New England Patriots jersey against a black background
Christian Gonzalez

Gonzalez Looking for Top Dollar

Gonzalez wants to be the highest-paid cornerback in the league after the Seahawks signed Devon Witherspoon to a deal worth $33 million annually. ESPN’s Adam Schefter said the two sides aren’t close to reaching a new deal.

“Witherspoon has established the benchmark, and the Patriots haven’t gone there, and they weren’t there before, and they don’t appear to be going there right now, and they’re off on the two sides of money,” Schefter said on The Pat McAfee Show. “But the Patriots and Gonzalez haven’t been close… I think they want to pay Christian Gonzalez, but they’re obviously not in the same neighborhood right now and haven’t been. Thus, his disappointment.”

In three seasons with the Patriots, Gonzalez has played in 34 games and made three interceptions. Witherspoon has also played three seasons for the Seahawks, picking off a pair of balls in 43 games.

The post Mike Vrabel Calls for Patience as Christian Gonzalez Contract Talks Continue appeared first on The SportsRush.



from The SportsRush https://ift.tt/Ho2FRIK