Travis Kelce is preparing for another season with the Kansas City Chiefs with an emphasis that extends beyond his on-field production. He wants to be a more accountable leader for the players around him.
Speaking with reporters during training camp, Kelce said he still loves the game, according to ESPN. He also said he wants to be a player his teammates can count on when the team faces adversity.
“I’ve still got a lot of love for this game,” Kelce said. “I want to go out there and prove to myself that I can play at a better level than I did last year. That’s probably the biggest thing for me, is making sure I’m accountable to the guys in this [locker] room and every single play that I’m out there.”
Kelce’s focus includes specific areas of his game. He said he wants to be more accountable when the ball is in the air and more consistent as a blocker to help create bigger gains for teammates. He also pointed to leadership as a priority as Kansas City works through training camp.
Kelce remains the Chiefs’ all-time leading receiver, and his connection with Patrick Mahomes and head coach Andy Reid has been a constant throughout this era of Chiefs football.
No Apparent Successor
Kelce’s accountability is significant for a Chiefs offense that does not have an apparent replacement plan if he misses substantial time. Backup tight end Noah Gray is coming off an underwhelming 2025, while third tight end Jared Wiley has caught only two passes in his NFL career.
Kelce followed seven consecutive 1,000-yard receiving seasons with three straight years above 800 yards, including a 2025 campaign that ended without Mahomes for part of the season. His speed and separation have declined with age, but his understanding of the offense and ability to find space remain important assets. Opposing defensive coordinators still have to account for him when preparing for Kansas City.
Kelce’s leadership goal will be measured by how he responds when the Chiefs face difficult moments during the season.
“When we get stuck with adversity hitting, who’s going to want to be in that foxhole with you?” he said. “I want to be one of those guys everybody counts on to get us out of that foxhole.”
The post Travis Kelce Targets Accountability Beyond Receiving for Chiefs This Season appeared first on The SportsRush.
from The SportsRush https://ift.tt/3LWIBsF

0 Comments